Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I edit Wikipedia...

Bonus points if you recognize what song does this post title's come from.

Anyhow, the other day I found out that there is a Wiki for The Legend of Zelda. Yeppers, I have played four Zelda games- although not the most recent one for the Wii. I have even cosplayed Princess Zelda from Ocarina of Time:




But this is not about cosplay or video games- although they can certainly be a part of Web 2.0. This is about wikis. And photo sharing. And social networking. And podcasting.

Although I have not written a Wikipedia article from scratch, I have edited quite a few articles. I have corrected erroneous information, as well as added more examples. I even added various terms to the article comparing which terms were used for various concepts in different Spanish speaking countries. I have seen other wikis- Muppet, Zelda, Takarazuka, and even parody ones that are not so nice.

I store my photographs in my personal webspace. It can be tricky after a while remembering the URL for pics, though- or which ones I have uploaded. So I can see how useful photo sharing sites can be. My cousin uses Kodak photo sharing to send me pictures of her daughters.

Social networking sites can be quite useful. Facebook has allowed me to reconnect with elementary and secondary school classmates that I had not seen or even heard of since graduation. MySpace has allowed me to connect with people from online classes, as well as people from my college organizations. They do have drawbacks- but as adults, one needs to know what to post and when to access it.

I have not created a podcast yet- though my friend's father did make one for a class he teachers. The only podcasts I have listened to are the ones from NarniaWeb and AnimeNation.

Here's a music video I found in YouTube featuring my favorite song from when I was a toddler. And of course, it is about a little girl who had a pet mouse!

No comments: