Thursday, January 24, 2008

Games, games, games!

I remember my first video game console. It was an Atari 2600. My father brought it home when I was 8 years old and in the third grade. One of the three games he brought that day was E.T. I tried playing it and then tried some more- but felt VERY guilty that I could not beat it unless it was in the easy mode that did not have the scientist or FBI agent. Many years later I would read on the internet that E.T. was a very hard and flawed game.

I have only had two more consoles after that- a Nintendo Entertainment System and a Playstation 2. My favorite genre would be Role Playing Games, aka RPGs. Believe it or not, my favorite installment in the Zelda series is Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. It is one of my two favorite video games, along with Final Fantasy VI.

From playing PacMan at the Pizza Hut Arcade when I was in elementary school, to DDR at MOSI during my library school years, to swinging by one of the libraries on my day off just so that I could play some Guitar Hero, I think gaming can be even more fun when you are with friends. Other video games that can be played with a group include: Taiko Drum, Donkey Konga, and Rock Band. I even remember a keyboard simulation one that I played at an anime convention- which often feature tournament games like Soul Calibur or Super Smash Brothers Melee.

And of course, you can always find puzzle games like Tetris online. I think those never go out of style.

No comments: