Thursday, February 21, 2008

Two birds with one stone

I was purposely delaying the RSS Feeds and Online Personalization lessons. Why? Because I had absolutely no experience with them.

However, earlier this week I stumbled upon iGoogle while at ERI. And I saw just how simple it was to pick and choose the content you wanted. Not to mention how many fun and informative tools there were. Among the features I chose were- Phase of the Moon, Weather, and How of the Day. I even have a couple search tools- Dictionary and Wikipedia.

Plus I also have two different news providers in my iGoogle page- Top Stories and CNN.com. But those are not the only feeds I have on my page.

Before reading the Library 2.0 blog, I did not even know about RSS feeds. But Google Reader provided an easy way to subscribe to your favorite blogs. First was our system's own Teen Blog- which I write for often. Various people had mentioned Annoyed Librarian- and since I am always curious about what's going on in the library world, I decided to add it. Finally I also added a blog from one of my fandoms- The Fifth Turtle.

I did not think it would be so simple and quick to personalize my own Google and subscribe through an RSS feed- let alone so much fun.

No comments: